GIVET

GIVET, Ville Fleurie "3 Fleurs"

Year of obtaining the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Flower: 2002, 2003 and 2004
Givet is a border town of 6347 inhabitants called "Givetois". Givet is located in the north of the department, in "la Pointe". There is a Nature Reserve of 354 hectares (the second largest reserve in Champagne Ardenne). It is at Givet that the confluence of the Houille with the Meuse is found. The left bank of the city is called the "Grand Givet" and the right bank is called the "Petit Givet".

To have:
Charlemont created in 1555 and remodeled by Vauban in 1696, it owes its name to the Emperor Charles V.
The Grégoire Tower is an old watchtower which would have been erected in the 11th century and which is located on the edge of the steep Mont d'Haurs.
The Victory Tower is an old brick and blue stone toll tower dating from the XNUMXth and XNUMXth centuries.
The Porte de France once protected access to the city, to the south, on the left bank of the Meuse, towards Charleville and Rocroi. In 1862 it was adapted for the passage of the railway, then for the road.
The Couvent des Récollectines, completely renovated, constitutes a beautiful cultural ensemble (library, media library, exhibition space).
The Saint Hilaire church, destroyed in 1675, was quickly rebuilt. Some attribute the plan to Vauban but without proof.
Notre Dame church, rebuilt from 1729 to 1732, on the ruins of the church destroyed in 1696.
The Trans-Ardennes Greenway.

Accommodation

Catering
https://www.valdardennetourisme.com/mon-sejour/restaurants/

Do not miss:
Onion Fair on November 11, each year.

More information:
Val d'Ardenne Tourism
Castle Square
08320 VIREUX-WALLERAND
Tel: 03 24 42 92 42
info@valdardenne.com
We speak French

Was this content useful to you?