Eglise Saint Rémi de Floing
Closed to the public
The fortified choir of the Saint-Rémi church probably dates from the end of the 16th or the beginning of the 17th century, while the bell tower, traditionally dated 1715, is probably earlier because of its firing openings. The bell tower door was rebuilt in 1752. The nave, with a single vessel, may have been renovated in the 17th century, as evidenced by its bays and firing openings. The church is located in an old fortified cemetery, some of whose towers existed until 1844.
In the Middle Ages, the rectory was under the patronage of the Abbey of Saint-Médard de Soissons, with the prior of Donchery and the village priest as tithe collectors. The church, oriented to the north-east, has an elongated plan. Its western massif includes the bell tower, flanked by two chapels, including that of the baptismal font. An organ gallery is located on the upper floor.
The rectangular choir ends with a flat chevet backed by the sacristy. Access to the upper levels is via a staircase located at the bottom of the bell tower. The building is constructed of limestone rubble with ashlar chains and its interior walls are rendered. The floor of the nave is decorated with geometric tiles, while the choir is planked.
The walls of the choir have semi-circular bays, while those of the nave have wider bays with an external splay. The bell tower, on four levels, has several firing openings and a chimney on the first level. The nave is ceilinged, the choir is vaulted with ribs, and watchtowers fortify the whole. The roofs are in slate, with long-span roofs for the nave and the choir, conical roofs for the watchtowers, and a polygonal spire for the bell tower.












