Eglise Saint Martin de Glaire – Iges
Closed to the public
Between 1894 and 1899, the Saint-Martin church was completely rebuilt under the leadership of Abbot Toussaint, like that of Glaire. The old church had been renovated in 1828 and then in 1854. In 1180, Guillaume, Archbishop of Reims, officially confirmed to Abbot Saint-Médard of Soissons the donation of the cures and chapels of Iges, Glaire, Frénois, Saint-Menges and Torcy.
The Church of Saint Martin, located in the center of the village, has an elongated plan with a three-bay nave and an imposing bell tower serving as the entrance. At the rear, the wider chancel has three aisles separated by columns and a flat apse adjoining the sacristy. The exterior walls of the chancel terminate in a gable, imitating a transept. Built of limestone rubble, the church has plastered interior walls adorned with geometric paintings. The floors are mosaic in the aisles and limestone slabs beneath the pews. The single-story building is pierced by round-arched windows and covered with domes. The bell tower has a vestibule and a bell chamber, while the roofs are slate, with a gable roof for the nave and chancel, and a hipped roof for the bell tower.









