à VIVIER AU COURT

Eglise Saint Julien de Vivier au court

Open on request from the town hall
The Saint-Julien church, built in the mid-16th century, was fortified by the addition of two towers framing the choir. In 1897, the western massif with its bell tower, designed by the architect Jean-Baptiste Couty in the style of the building, was completed. After the destruction of the spire during a hurricane in 1905, the upper part of the bell tower was rebuilt in 1906.

Located in the centre of the village, the church has an elongated plan: a three-aisled nave with three bays, preceded by a western massif comprising a central bell tower flanked by a spiral staircase and side chapels to the north and south. The side aisles end to the east with two defensive towers pierced with firing embrasures. A non-projecting transept precedes the choir, composed of a straight bay and a three-sided apse. The sacristy is backed by the south side of the south aisle.

The building is constructed of limestone rubble with cut stone chains, while the western massif uses rubble from Bulson and cut stone from Dom-le-Mesnil, the bell tower being entirely in large assemblage. The interior is rendered, the floor tiled with polychrome patterns in the nave and transept, and a checkerboard of black and red marble in the choir.

The walls are pierced with pointed arches with Gothic tracery. The bell tower, housing the vestibule, organ gallery and bell chamber, is topped with a terrace. The nave and the choir, vaulted with ribs (with hanging keystones in the transept and the choir), are separated by columns with penetrations.

The slate roofs cover the nave and the choir in long sections, the apse in a polygonal hip, the towers in conical roofs, the sacristy in a pavilion and the bell tower in a terrace.
We speak French

Services

Equipment

  • Electric car charging station
  • Parking

Address

Place de l'Eglise
08440 VIVIER AU COURT
My route via Google Maps

Was this content useful to you?